One2One: Aviator Learning Anytime, Anywhere
One2One: Aviator Anywhere, Anytime Learning
The One2One: Aviator Anywhere, Anytime Learning program provides 5th thru 12th-grade students with computers to use at school and home. New for 2016-17 is the expansion of the One2One program for grades 9-12.
Why One to One?
More engaged learners
A four-year study of 5,000 middle school students in Texas found that those engaged in laptop immersion programs were less likely to have disciplinary problems than students in schools without laptops (Shapley et al., 2009).
Better technology skills - leveling the playing field
The Texas study also found that the technology skills of students in the laptop programs improved significantly— so much so that after three years, low-income students in the laptop schools displayed the same levels of technology proficiency as wealthier students in the control schools (Shapley et al., 2009).
Proponents of one-to-one programs also assert that such programs create savings in other areas, including reduced costs for textbooks, paper, assessments, and paperwork, as well as a reduction in disciplinary actions (Greaves, Hayes, Wilson, Gielniak, & Peterson, 2010).
Increased quality and quantity in writing
Some preliminary studies suggest that students not only write more but write better when using laptops rather than pen and paper
Greater student collaboration
The Center for Applied Research in Education Technology (CARET) provides a variety of research that suggests that students improve interpersonal abilities and teamwork skills through collaboration using laptops and handhelds.
Greater teacher awareness of student progress
CARET also sites research that seems to demonstrate that teachers can better monitor, or can monitor in more varied ways, student understanding and application of skills and concepts through one-to-one technology.
- Increases achievement
- Increases student engagement
- Complements project-based learning
- Broadens learning beyond the classroom
- Increases opportunity for authentic learning
- Prepares for tomorrow’s workplace and today’s tests
- Enhances collaboration
- Personalizes learning
- Increases communication
- Promotes small group and individualized instruction
- Increases student choice and ownership of learning
- Increases accessibility to up-to-date information
- Extends learning beyond the classroom
- Facilitates organization and management of information
- Allows students to become producers and publishers
- Provides equitable access