Sycamore encourages efforts to incorporate special programs and activities for gifted and talented students as an integral part of the total K–12 program. With this in mind, professionals use a variety of assessment procedures to identify gifted and talented students.
Information regarding how to make a referral for gifted identification is provided to teachers and parents in the Gifted Guidebook, in each school’s fall newsletter, and below. Brochures explaining gifted identification procedures, instruments, and state requirements are located on the district website.
Children may be referred on a continual basis by a parent/guardian, teacher, peer, psychologist, principal, community members, gifted coordinator, or the child may make a self-referral. Referral forms should be submitted to the child’s school principal and/or counselor. Visual Performing Arts form should be submitted to the student’s music or art teacher.
Upon receipt of the completed referral form, the district will administer a state-approved assessment within 90 days. Parents will receive written notification of results within 30 days of district receipt of test results.
Assessment opportunities provided at least two times a year in winter and again in spring. Transfer students will be assessed within 90 days of the transfer at the request of the parent, student, or a teacher nomination.
The district uses assessments that are specifically designed for students who are culturally diverse, economically disadvantaged, have a disability, and/or are ELL. Accommodations are made to ensure the tests reflect accurate aptitude and achievement for those students who are physically and/or sensory disabilities. The district adheres to accommodations identified in student IEPs, 504's or LEPs. Students are administered tests in their native language whenever possible.
- Complete the Gifted Identification Referral Form or submit a request in writing.
- Gifted Identification Referral Form should be submitted to the student’s counselor or building principal. Visual Performing Arts form should be submitted to the student’s music or art teacher.
- Parents will be notified of when an evaluation will take place. Sycamore conducts gifted evaluations twice a year, once in winter and again in spring.
- Students transferring into the district will be assessed within 90 days of a parent request for evaluation.
- Parents will be notified of the screening results within 30 days of receipt of the test results by the district.