What is the Synnovation Lab?
Sycamore High School’s Synnovation Lab is an innovative approach to secondary instruction utilizing personalized and project-based learning to guide the learning process. Utilizing a blended model, this school aims to provide Sycamore students a truly modern, self-paced, engaging and authentic learning experience housed inside the outstanding Sycamore High School.
- Every child deserves a personalized learning path that supports their individuality and fosters meaningful relationships.
- Motivation and engagement are the cornerstones of personalized learning. Staff and students will share an ignited passion for the learning they are leading.
- Authentic learning is a gateway to real-world experiences which deepen understanding; encouraging students to create tangible, useful products to answer real-world problems.
- Design thinking is an innovative strategy to approach learning and problem-solving to move staff and students towards an action-oriented mindset.
How Is It Different Than a Traditional School Setting?
- Students will have a more flexible schedule on both a daily and long term basis. With this comes greater freedom of choice and a greater ownership of learning. Synnovation Lab will not have a bell schedule, providing students with the opportunity to create their day as they see fit.
- A mastery-based grading system will be utilized, where students will be assessed on the mastery of content/standards. Students will need to meet a minimum expectation of mastery, and once reached will receive either an A or B. Students advance to the next course based on mastery, not a timeline.
- Students will be enrolled in a Project-Based Learning course throughout the entire year. This course will drive a project inspired by student interest or passion in a particular area. This course was created for students to take part in a meaningful learning process that serves the student, the Sycamore Community, or global society.
- The Synnovation Lab promotes student’s owning their learning. Teachers are no longer on stage, rather they serve as Activators, Mentors, Motivators and Experts that are there to help students achieve mastery.
- Students will be required to frequently check-in with Synnovation Lab teachers to monitor progress and achievement.
For further distinction between the Synnovation Lab versus the Traditional Setting please see the linked document.
The 2019-2020 application window for the Synnovation Lab is open from November 1st - December 1st. Current 8th, 9th, and 10th graders may apply.
50 current 8th graders will be accepted and notified before Winter Break. Current 9th and 10th graders who apply will be notified immediately after Winter Break as those spots are more limited.
To apply please use the following link: https://tinyurl.com/SynnLab
We are quite excited with how many students have applied as of November 9, 2018. Make sure to apply by December 1st!
Want to Tour the Synnovation Lab?
We are excited to share with other educators what we are doing and more importantly the impact our students are making!
The following form is tailored for fellow educators who would like to visit Sycamore High School’s Synnovation Lab. The Synnovation Lab is a school within a school model, opened 2018, focused on two components: personalized learning and project-based learning. We are ecstatic to share our school, philosophy, and ideas that brought this incredible design to life!
Visits will be approximately between 2-3 hours and may include the following aspects:
- Student Panel
- Observation and Interaction within the Synnovation Lab
- Administrative Q & A/Development of Synnovation Lab
- Additional components addressed within the Form
Visits will be available once per month, on the 20th of each month beginning in November. We ask that each school limits the number of visitors attending Synnovation Lab to 10.
If you have any questions please contact Ashley Warren at firstname.lastname@example.org