Free Meals for all Sycamore Students
USDA and ODE passed a new waiver for all schools that participate in School Nutrition Programs. Sycamore Schools will contiue to serve FREE meals through the whole 2020-21 school year.
How does my child receive a free meal?
- All meals are free for ALL students for the entire 2021-22 school year at both breakfast and lunch service. The meal MUST be reimbursable.
What is a reimbursable meal?
- A reimbursable meal must contain a 1/2 cup of fruit, veggie, or 100% fruit juice. You also need to select ATLEAST two more components on top of this. An example of a minimum reimbursable lunch - a hamburger and an orange. An example of a maximum reimbursable lunch - a hamburger, orange, broccoli, baby carrots, and milk. Child nutrition staff workers will be available to help your child meet these requirements.
Does this change the way my child gets breakfast or lunch at school?
- No! Everything is exactly the same. See below for breakfast times and locations.
What will still cost money?
- Any a la carte items such as extra entrees, snacks, and beverages.
Is just milk or just water free?
- No! Only a whole reimbursable meal can be free.
Do I still have to fill out a free and reduced application now if my student will already be getting free meals?
You only need to complete this application for the 2021-22 school year if one of the following pertains to you:
- You are new to the district and believe that your income qualifies your family.
- You do not qualify automatically through participation in SNAP
- Your family circumstances have changed. (ie. new family members living in the household, change in combined family income, or you believe you would now qualify when you did not in the past)
- You do not need to submit the free and reduced price meals application this school year if you were approved for free or reduced price meals during the 2019-20 AND/OR the 2020-21 school year. The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has given districts permission to carry these meal status’ over to this school year. If you qualified for free or reduced price meals during either the 2019-20 and/or 2020-21 school year and your status is being carried over, you should have received an email inviting you to fill out a new Authorization to Share Information Form.
Will my student’s current meal balance stay the same while they are receiving free meals?
- YES. All money (or account debt) will stay on the child’s account.
Will I be taking food away from someone who really needs the aide if I partake in a free meal?
- Not at all! Participating in the new program and receiving free meals actually helps the Sycamore School District by increasing our school meal participation, which will in turn increase our reimbursements per meal by the government. This allows the district to fix and/or buy kitchen equipment and provide better quality food for our students.
What if I want to continue paying for my child’s meals?
- Under this new program, EVERYONE in the district will be receiving free meals and we cannot charge full price for any reimbursable meals. If you would like to purchase additional a la carte options such as entrees, sides, snacks, or drinks, they will still be available for purchase.
How long will my child be able to receive free meals?
- The program enabling us to offer free meals to everyone in our district will last the entire 2021-22 School Year.