FREE MEALS for Face-to-Face Families
USDA and ODE passed a new waiver for all schools that participate in School Nutrition Programs. Sycamore Schools will contiue to serve FREE meals through the whole 2020-21 school year.
How does my child receive a free meal?
- All meals are free for ALL students for the entire 2020-21 school year. The meal MUST be reimbursable.
What is a reimbursable meal?
- A reimbursable meal must contain a 1/2 cup of fruit, veggie, or 100% fruit juice. You also need to select ATLEAST two more components on top of this. An example of a minimum reimbursable lunch - a hamburger and an orange. An example of a maximum reimbursable lunch - a hamburger, orange, broccoli, baby carrots, and milk. Child nutrition staff workers will be available to help your child meet these requirements.
Does this change the way my child gets breakfast or lunch at school?
- No! Everything is exactly the same.
What will still cost money?
- Any a la carte items such as extra entrees, snacks, and beverages.
Is just milk or just water free?
- NO! Only a WHOLE reimbursable meal can be free.
Do I still have to fill out a free and reduced application now if my student will already be getting free meals?
- It is recommended to still fill out a free and reduced application for a smoother transition at the beignning of next school year. Free and Reduced applications also tie to many other things in the district such as specific funding for the district, your ability to waive school fees, athletics, kindergarten tuition, receive building assistance, etc.
Will my student’s current meal balance stay the same while they are receiving free meals?
- YES. All money (or account debt) will stay on the child’s account.
Will I be taking food away from someone who really needs the aide if I partake in a free meal?
- Not at all! Participating in the new program and receiving free meals actually helps the Sycamore School District by increasing our school lunch participation, which will in turn increase our reimbursements per lunch by the government. This allows the district to fix and/or buy kitchen equipment and provide better quality food for our students.
What if I want to continue paying for my child’s meals?
- Under this new program, EVERYONE in the district will be receiving free meals and we cannot charge full price for any reimbursable meals. If you would like to purchase additional a la carte options such as entrees, sides, snacks, or drinks, they will still be available for purchase.
How long will my child be able to receive free meals?
- The program enabling us to offer free meals to everyone in our district will last the entire 2020-21 School Year.