Scheduling Process at the High School
During the third quarter, scheduling activities take place to assist each student in selecting appropriate courses for the next school year. The steps to the scheduling process are listed below.
- Teachers first meet with students to discuss recommended courses for the next school year. This happens in mid to late January each year.
- Several events are held starting in January to provide additional information to families about course options: the Academic Fair, College Credit Plus presentation, Scarlet Oaks field trip (virtual), and Coffee with Counselors.
- Students should also review course descriptions in the Course Planning Guide and discuss options with their families.
- Students follow the online scheduling instructions to enter their class selections online while taking into consideration the student’s abilities and four-year high school plan.
- Counselors will then meet with students to discuss and review their course selections and finalize their plans. This happens in February-March each year.
- The final step in the process allows students and parents the opportunity to review, correct, and/or change selections. It is expected that students develop a sound educational plan and an appropriate schedule prior to the end of the current school year. The deadline to make changes to requested courses is April 30 of each year.
Changing Requested Courses
All students must maintain a schedule that will permit graduation and will meet the minimum requirements for college admission. Changes in course requests may be made anytime in the months between the meeting with the counselor in February/March through April 30. After April 30, all course requests will be locked. The only course changes that will be made in the fall or at the beginning of the second semester will be those necessitated by schedule conflicts, failure of a course or computer errors. Students must make informed decisions about courses requiring summer assignments because these courses will not be dropped at the beginning of the school year due to incompletion of the work.