- Sycamore Community Schools
Join Us Feb. 6 African American Children's Illustrated Literature Exhibit
Sycamore Community Schools is excited to host a first-of-its-kind traveling exhibition that celebrates African American children’s literature and illustrations.
The “Telling a People’s Story” African American Children’s Illustrated Literature exhibit from the Miami University Art Museum will travel to each of the district’s seven schools between now and April 8. The district is one of 16 locations in the U.S. that will host the traveling exhibit.
The public will have an opportunity to experience the exhibit during an Open House on February 6 from 4:00-7:00 p.m. at District Office. All are welcome.
The exhibit offers a lens into the cultural, historical, and social makeup of African-American cultural identity, while also shedding light on the long-neglected world of African-American authors and illustrators in the pantheon of children’s literature. Telling A People’s Story addresses:
- The presentation of African-American identity and history in a creative, educational and respectful manner.
- The raising of greater awareness for the role African-American illustrators and authors play in the development and growth of the field of children’s literature.
- The topic of social justice throughout African-American history.
- The need for awareness of the challenges African-American children’s book authors and illustrators face in a field lacking sufficient representation of minorities.
- The importance of appreciating the culture and history of a people who are deeply rooted in the American story.
The traveling exhibition covers a wide range of African-American history: African Traditions and storytelling, the Middle Passage (1650s-1850s), Slavery & the Underground Railroad (1619-1865), Civil War, Emancipation & Reconstruction (1863-1877), Segregation (1860s-1960s), Harlem Renaissance & The Great Migration (1918-1924), The Civil Rights Era, Modern Cultural Identity (1970s and beyond) and Biographical Sketches.
The exhibition has already been on display at Maple Dale Elementary and Symmes Elementary. After the Open House at District Office, the exhibit will move to Sycamore High School (February 11-15), Sycamore Junior High (February 18-22), E.H. Greene Intermediate (February 25-March 1), Montgomery Elementary (March 4-8), and Blue Ash Elementary (March 25-April 5) before being returned to Miami University.